Top tips for families
At MEND, we give families all sorts of ideas to help them get fitter, healthier and happier, like these top ten tips…
- Eat breakfast every day. Have a piece of fruit, a low fat yoghurt, wholegrain cereal or wholemeal or granary toast.
- Drink six to eight cups of water every day.
- Drink less soft drinks. Have a maximum of one glass (200ml) of fruit juice a day and limit the sugary fizzy drinks you have.
- Swap ‘white’ starchy foods (like white bread, white pasta and white rice) for wholemeal or wholegrain varieties.
- Eat at least five fruit and vegetable servings every day.
- Have no more than five treats per week. One treat could be a small bag of crisps, two small biscuits, a small slice of cake, a small chocolate bar or a small or treat size bag of sweets.
- Limit your screen time. Spend no more than two hours a day watching TV, on the computer or playing computer games.
- Do at least two exercise sessions per week. Each session should make your heartbeat and breathing faster.
- Organise at least one activity a week to get the whole family moving. Children should play outdoors as often as possible.
- Use the car less. Walk or cycle as much as you can. Do you really need to go to and from school or work in the car.